Boxing Room Chef Justin Simoneaux's recommended recipe is Smoked Chicken & Andouille Sausage Gumbo, because it’s hearty and can feed a group! Also, since the Niners are playing the Ravens in his home state of New Orleans, it’s like bringing a little taste of the South to San Francisco.
As you can tell from the photo, Justin's team is the Saints!
Boxing Room Executive Chef Justin Simoneaux's Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 3-4 pound chicken
2 Tbs canola oil
1 medium onion cut into 8
1 cup celery, cut into 1" pieces
1 cup carrots, cut into 1" pieces
5 cloves garlic, smashed
1 bay leaf
1 tsp black peppercorn
5 sprigs thyme
1 gal water
2 Tb salt
- In a 2 gallon stock pot, heat oil on medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, add onion, celery, and carrot and cook, stirring regularly, until vegetables are caramelized.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour or until chicken is cooked through.
- Strain liquid from chicken and vegetables, pick chicken and reserve for making gumbo.
- This can be done up to a day in advance.
picked chicken meat, from above recipe
1 pound andouille sausage, cut into ½ pound slices
1 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped
1 cup okra, cut into 1/2 " pieces
3 quarts hot chicken, from above recipe
1 bay leaf